.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Worry not....

I came by my worry mode quite honestly. My mom was a constant worrier and "What if'"-er. I understood. I'm the youngest of four. By the time I was in preschool my parents had separated, but not divorced.  I can't imagine how hard it must have been for mom even though we saw my dad daily. My dad was the calm, cool and collected one. It's no surprise that I picked a mate who was as laid back as my dad while I ran around constantly "borrowing trouble" once we became parents. That trait quickly grew old in the relationship.

I came across this picture on Pinterest yesterday and it really struck a chord with me. It came at the perfect time; right before the first signs that Hurricane Sandy was coming. I had to utter the phrase above to my nervous 11-year-old nephew who called to check on me yesterday. I told him that we would be fine. We are prepared and still have power (unlike my brother and niece who live a short distance away.) We cleared the perimeter of the house of possible flying objects. I have plenty of reading material, scrapping and puzzles to do. I said my prayers. God saw us through Hurricane Irene and an earthquake a week apart last year. I'm sure he will see us through again.

*So, what about you? Are you a worrier? Cool as a cucumber by nature? Do tell!*

7 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

A worrier - inherited from my mother as well. :) Prayers for safety during this storm. I certainly hope she doesn't pack all the punch the weather forecasters are predicting.

Serene said...

I'm a worrier too. I lie awake sometimes worrying about something unlike my husband whose head hits the pillow and 6 breaths later, he's snoring! Drives me nuts how he can do that.

Tiffany said...

I have my moments of calm but I think I tend to worry a lot when I have to make a bid decision. I saw a quote today though that helped me begin to understand that I should not fret over every big choice in life. Going to work on holding it close and remembering that in tough times.

Mary Jo said...

You perfectly described me and my husband :)
He is usually the calm one and I have always struggled with anxiety and worry.
But the past few years I have been letting go of a lot and trying to keep things calm, because I see the same traits in my son now.

Sondra said...

I don't worry about normal things. I do procrastinate and it causes me much stress...

As the Bible says, "Do not be anxious for tomorrow."

courtney said...

Love the quote. And it's absolutely perfect for what you've just been through!
As for me, I don't know. Most people see me as very laid-back and easy-going but I still stress out about stuff. Mostly silly stuff, like all the things I figure I 'should' be doing.

Tracy said...

I am both a worrier and the calm one. It just depends on the situation.
But I guess if I had to pick one, it would be more the worrier type, as my hubby is the very calm one.