Hi all. The hurricane was particularly devastating. It definitely wasn't hype. I felt like a child masquerading in adult's clothing while trying to figure out what to do in the aftermath. My prayers are with all affected by Sandy. I'm trying to think happier thoughts. I have to be the face and voice of soothing and support for the children when I go back to work.
Onto something fun...The children in after school club have been warming up a little bit. Our club is named for the story, Have You
Filled a Bucket Today? (A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids) by
Carol McCloud. The bucket filling and
dipping metaphor was created by Dr. Donald Clifton in the 1960's. The
Bucketfilling School program was created by Merrill Lundgren (The Bucket Man) in 2003. Carol McCloud's book was based on and inspired by The Bucket Man's work in schools.
The
main idea of the book is that everyone carries an invisible bucket that holds our
feelings. When our bucket is full, we feel good. When our bucket is empty, we
feel sad. A bucket filler is someone who is good to others. They may say nice
things to make someone feel special. That
person fills their own bucket by being kind to others. A bucket dipper is a
person who says mean things to others or makes them feel bad. Bullies are bucket
dippers. They empty their own buckets by being hurtful to other people. McCloud’s book was not a random story or the mere subject of a
bulletin board project for the students in the club and my classes. The children quickly
embraced the theme of the Bucketfiller book as our principle.
We celebrate ourselves, our families and school community by scrapping about them. Here we are on day one of club this year. There are 17 little scrappers in training.
After introducing the children to the book they are taught the names of each scrappy tool and how to use it. They created the cover layouts for their scrapbooks the following week. So many fun projects and pages are planned for them to do this year. I'm really looking forward to it!


16 comments:
I'm sure your scrap club will be a wonderful, happy distraction for you and your kiddos! Enjoy!
That book looks awesome, I may have to look it up at the library.
good luck on your scrap club! what an exciting club-- the book looks great
I love this book! Such a great idea for a club!
What a wonderful book and a fun club for the kids! I look forward to seeing more. Kudos to you for keeping a positive outlook in the face of such devastation.
Great idea and I know they will enjoy it!
Love that you are teaching young scrappers, I wish you the best and glad that you are the voice of reassurance.
Bravo to you taking on the task of being the positive voice, it is not an easy task when things are so tough. I love the whole idea of your young club. I think it is such a valuable tool in those young kids life.
I've had the east coast in my prayers all week. Living in FL, I've been through a few hurricanes. These storms are fierce and scary and I wish all effected a speedy recovery. That book is adorable and the scrap club for the kids is a fantastic idea! Have fun with it. :)
This will be a fun activity for the kids, and they'll love taking this project home at the end of the year! I really like the meaning behind that book too! Will be back to "catch up" soon!
Your scrap club sounds like so much fun :)
This sounds like such a great project.
I haven't heard of that book, but by how you explained it, it sounds like a great book.
What a wonderful project-I bet the kids really love it.
Staci, I am so glad to hear that you all are ok. My prayers go out to you and your students as you help them understand this all when they get back to school. They are certainly blessed to have you as a teacher and I'm happy that you're able to do the scrap club again this year.
How fun! A scrap club. Good luck!
Love the idea of your club... and so VERY thankful that you and yours are OK!!!
Glad you are OK, and what a wonderful activity for the kids!
Post a Comment