.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Three more days




until the new kindergartners start! We went back for workshops and superintendent's conferences on the 31st of August. There will be lots of changes but I think I'm ready! I don't usually tell people this, but I have been living with a major issue. My identity has been so wrapped up in being a "teacher" and mother that there was nothing left for me. It would take near death (or death) to make me miss work. On the last day of school I would always go home and cry uncontrollably because I wasn't teaching anymore and really didn't really know who Staci was. ( I was lucky enough to work summer school the past two years though.) 
      This summer I read a blog post about embarking on a project. Thank you Liz/Flourish in Progress
 for making me reflect on things I would like to change. That post gave me a cyber kick in the tush to stop talking and start doing. I took some time this summer to focus on checking some things off of my bucket list (or at least working towards making them happen.) For the first time in more than a decade, I'm not dying to get back to work because I have finally started to discover who I am...

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

I understand about being so wrapped up in a role as your identity and I am glad to see you are working on doing some things for you to enjoy outside of work.

Ursula Schneider said...

Well I am praising God for you! That sounds like such a healthy way of thinking. You go girl!

Sara said...

Good for you to change & be happy with it!

Susan said...

I agree, it is so easy to become wrapped up in living your day to day life that you can loose yourself. Women wear so many hats.....provider, mother, our careers! So glad that you are embarking on a journey to find yourself again!

Staci said...

Thanks for all of the encouragement ladies! :-)

Sandra said...

I love this, and I applaud all women who know that they are more than just their jobs or their children's mother, or their husband's wife. This is exactly the kind of post that validates my way of living: I'm always looking for the next challenge.

Tracy said...

Good for you. I think so many women loose themselves because of taking care of others.

Good for you that you are finding out who you are, and setting goals for you.

Brown English Muffin said...

So how are you little kindergarteners???

Staci said...

BEM-I can only say that they are really a bunch of characters! Talk soon...

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

I hope the new school year has been AMAZING so far. Those kids are so lucky to have you. I know that Cal having a really wonderful Kindergarten teacher has made all the difference in how she views school and learning. You're setting those kids up for success because you're so awesome.

I think that being really gifted at what you DO sometimes then takes over who you ARE and I'm happy to hear that you're taking the time to discover "just Staci."

thanks for the mention.