.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Wisdom of Children

                     courtesy of clipartmountain.com

Hello all. I'm trying to stay busy. This post is scheduled because I wasn't sure if I'd have power at this time.
( Hurricane Irene.) While all of the news coverage is informative, it is making me a little anxious. I saved  some pictures to scrap during the event to keep my brain occupied. Saying prayers for all of those in her path....

Onto happy thoughts...I love my jobs. I'm a kindergarten teaching assistant and also a bus monitor. I have held my bus monitor position for three years. In this three year period, I was never late and absent twice. (I was absent two days in May 2009 because my mom died.)

Other staff voiced getting a turn at the position so my term ended in June. I used my bus monitor pay to fund my scrapbook club. I took the children's photos with my film camera and bought hard binders. I also purchased healthy snacks each week. Super hero and Princess stickers regularly made their way into my shopping basket. At the end of the year, each child got a club t-shirt and a bucket to decorate (The club is based on Carol McCloud's Have You Filled a Bucket Today?) with the request that they fill said buckets with good thoughts and kind behavior.

I was lucky to have two blessings named Cam and Susan (Hey ladies!) send a bunch of items for the kiddos to use. Fast forward to the end of school. My little "A" told me that she was going to go to first grade but come back to my scrap club on Thursdays. (Awwwww!!!) I told her that I didn't know if I would do the club the following year. "E's " expression became serious. He asked why. I told him that I wasn't sure if I would have enough money to do it because I had to pay some other bills. These little people tried to brainstorm ways for me to save money!

"Don't give them snack. We won't tell," E said. (lol)
" Get the moms to send in pictures," another offered.
"Ask the moms for money for t-shirts."
"Can you ask somebody else to get the page protectors?"

"E" made his final declaration:

" Other kids will like scrapbook club. You need to do it."

I began recalculating my budget, trying to figure out how I was going to make it without my grocery, scrap club and gas money while still tackling my substantial but impressively decreasing debt.  I found another 2peas angel. She was giving up paper scrapping and getting rid of her stash. After I mentioned my scrap club we determined a fee for the cost of  some patterned paper. I could only gasp when I saw the box the UPS man brought to my door. Inside the box was a great amount of paper, stickers, chipboard and thickers. (FLCindy you rock my socks off!! Thanks so much!!)

Scrap club? It's a go!

5 comments:

courtney said...

How wonderful, Staci! I hope you are able to keep your club running with all of your newly acquired supplies as I know how much it means to you...and by the sounds of it your students too!
Stay safe!

Serene said...

That's great news, Staci. I sure the kids will love it.

Lisa Adair said...

Staci!

I have a stash of stuff I've been looking for a place to send it!!?? Do you need more for the club? I didn't realize you were needing supplies for it.

I love what you are doing and so glad you can continue it. You are truly a special special person!

Brown English Muffin said...

Staci that's awesome news wow...good works in mysterious ways!!!

Susan said...

Staci! Let me know if you need more paper for the kiddos. I purged half my stash and you are more than welcome to it! Keep up the good work with the kids!

I've seen the things my kid's kindergarten teachers have done with them; they are not just creating arts and crafts; but memories that the kids will carry with them. And what a fabulous way to start off their educational journey!