.

Monday, August 8, 2011

August Layout Challenge

This month--- redo a layout from the past. I actually redid my son's first five years of albums since I went all crazy Edward Scissorhands with all of the original pictures. Hearts, stars, teddy-bears? You name the shape and I've probably cut my photos that way. I have come to embrace my layouts as they are. Even whey they aren't so great. Then I remembered what was sitting in my embellishment drawer.
There was a child in my class at one time that ahem...shall I say...didn't always know how to make nice with others. I clearly remember my own kindergarten bully. I knew that I had to find a way to reach her. I praised her whenever she was kind and gave her tough love when she wasn't. She did improve quite a bit. Towards the end of the year she came in and handed me two plastic snowflakes. "These are for your scrapbook," she said. I was touched by her gesture and so I decided to redo my latest winter layout. Thanks for looking!

Before:


After:  Look! I took my first photo of a layout! It's a little busy but I had fun with this one! I used one of the gifted plastic snowflakes and added a Jolee snowflake over it. (The penguins are Jolee's too.) The chipboard is American Crafts.


10 comments:

Tamika said...

Staci both layouts are great but the second one with the brighter papers and fun elements is adorable. Oh how wonderful it is to see growth in a little person, I loved your story!

Serene said...

I like both layouts. Your picture placement is good on both. It's nice how your guidance helped her and now by her giving you those snowflakes, you will always remember her and how you made a difference when you look at those layouts.

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

I don't think it's possible for you to ever have a ho hum layout. ;)

Gemiel said...

Staci, I love both layouts!! It's amazing to see how a change in color scheme and embellishments changes the whole mood of the layout.

courtney said...

I like both layouts!
Love the story about your little transformed bully.

Lisa Adair said...

I really like both layouts, although the colors and story behind the second one make me like it just a little more.
It's teachers like you Staci who make such a difference in a childs life.

Kelly Roberts said...

me, too. i like the before and after. i guess both show where you were then and now. so they are both wonderful!

Staci said...

Thank you for all of the comments! Have a good one all!

D said...

What a cool redo! Love how you layered the photos and those penguins are so cute!! That's a great story about the snowflakes. Must have felt awesome knowing that you really helped your student excel.

renee said...

Great job on both!