.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

Today is the last day of summer school. The session is a short one this year. I wish we had more time with the children because they need more. *sigh* We exposed them to plenty of books and reviewed Math and ELA concepts. The students definitely showed some growth. I pray that they blossom and grow even more in first grade. I'm sure I'll need a little treat, so I'll have one of these muffins after dinner:

NOTE: I left out the yogurt and used regular unbleached flour. They were delicious!

Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
 Recipe by Emeril Lagasse- 2004

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon, softened
1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 mini muffin tins (each with 12 (1 3/4-inch) wells) with 1 tablespoon softened butter and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together cake flour, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
In a medium bowl, combine the egg and sugar and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and beat in the yogurt, remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice, zest and vanilla until well incorporated, about 30 seconds. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry just until moistened and being careful not to over-mix. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tins, filling each halfway.
Bake until the muffins are set and golden brown and a tester comes out clean, 14 to 16 minutes.

12 comments:

Susan said...

Ooooo.....those sound good. I love love love lemon cake. I'm gonna have to try these too!

Tamika said...

I used to work at a school district and it was always hard for the educators to leave the children when they felt like they needed more, I hope they stay inspired and do well during the school year too! Your muffins look extra yummy, tfs I am going to try these, I love to bake.

Erin Bassett said...

Mmmmm! I totally love all things lemon!

Kendall said...

Those look yummy!! I am def gonna have to try this recipe!

MyCuriousCrafts said...

Hi Staci, now I'm hungry...awesome baking my friend. TFS the recipe! ~Shen

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

This looks awesome, but I've got to watch my flour intake....Bummer.


Lisa x

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

I can almost smell these I want them so bad.

Jill said...

I've never done summer school, but I know that feeling nonetheless. The muffins look yummy! I hope they were just what you needed!

Carla said...

be still my heart, I am a huge fan of lemon muffins! Love them for breakfast!

Tracy said...

Ohhhh these look so good.
Thank you so much for sharing the recipe :)

Staci Taylor said...

yum, staci, these sound delicious! thx for sharing the recipe! you sound like such a great teacher - your little kindergartners are so lucky to have you!

Brown English Muffin said...

why'd you leave out the yogurt?

they look yummy regardless