.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

My DS is going to Warped Tour today. Think 90 metalcore and hard rock bands playing in a big field in 97 degree heat. My son has been talking about little else since scoring tickets for this show in March. I bought him a cell phone for the occasion. I want to take his photo before he leaves and sew his name in his underwear but he won't let me. Luckily he is going with several levelheaded friends he's known since elementary school. I told them to hold hands and stick together like they used to do on school school trips. He was not amused.
My first concert without my parents was at age 13 (I went with my niece to see Menudo) but that was back in 1983. He's almost 17 and I know that I need to cut the apron strings. 

On to today's book review.....The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender


 I had high hopes for this book even though I received mixed reviews about it. The story starts with a young girl whose name is Rose. On her 9th birthday, Rose discovers that she can taste the emotions of other people through the various foods that they prepare. Upon first bite of her mother's cake, Rose tastes the obvious ingredients; chocolate and lemon. She then tastes loneliness and sadness. She can barely swallow a bite of her brother's sandwich, as it is teeming with desperation, pain and frustration.

     Rose's older brother, Joseph appears to be constantly rigid and serious. He begins to disappear for small stretches at a time. With each occurrence Joseph stayed away for longer periods.At one point Rose finds him in a trance like state. I started to think that Joseph was in need of  both a neurologist and a pharmacist.

The ending did not wow me. I didn't love this book but really wanted to love it. 
 *Have you read any good books lately?*

11 comments:

D said...

Bet you will be holding your breath till he gets back! Sounds like he is in company though.

Sharla said...

I hope your son has a good time, my first concert was Bon Jovi, their Slippery When Wet tour!!

The book sounds interesting, too bad it wasn't as good as you'd hoped, thanks for the review!

MyCuriousCrafts said...

Hi Staci, that's how us mother's are...protective. My first concert was with my older brother and sister, loads of fun. Before crafting reading was my favorite pass time now, I share my with both but crafting is winning right now. ~Shen

Tracy said...

Teehee hold hands and sew his name in his underware, lol.
I know how hard it is to cut those apron strings....do we really need to :(

As for the book, I have not heard about it before. Dont you just hate when a book doesn't measure up. You put it down thinking, it could have been so much better.

Staci said...

Update:

DS called a little before 10pm to tell me that it was all over. Doors opened at 11am! He had a great time!

Gemiel said...

Wow Staci, I can't believe Amani is almost 17. Time sure does fly.
I haven't read any books lately, although I do have a pile of books just waiting to be read.

Kendall said...

I am so glad you reviewed this book as I was contemplating putting it on my 2012 reading list!! Won't worry about it now :-)

Also LOVE Warped Tour! Needless to say this 25 year is jealous of you17 year old son!! And don't worry I'm sure he will be just fine :-)

Susan said...

Well, I would have put his name in his underwear anyway...LOL! I was 17 before I got to go to my first concert...Warrant. I think my mom is still freaked out about the whole thing. haha!

Jill said...

My daughter hasn't been to a concert by herself yet - good luck! He'll probably have a fantastic time!

I can see why you'd want to love that book. It does sound interesting. I've heard of that one, but never read it. I'm reading Wally Lamb - The Hour I First Believed. It is SO incredibly, incredibly depressing. I'm more than halfway done and very interested in the storyline, but I'm afraid I may have to return it to the library without finishing it, because it is just so depressing. I've read two others of his, one I LOVED and the other was okay. But this one...man.

I also just finished "An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England". That was REALLY good! In a horrible sort of way. And I only wanted to stop reading once, when the guy lied to his wife, which never turns out for the best.

Moonie said...

what an absolute beautiful stunning blog you have xx

Brown English Muffin said...

Even your synopsis sounds good...sucks that it didn't draw you in though...