.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Red, White and Blue...

and a President too!



The July assignment for SOS required the use of red, white and blue. Oddly enough, this is not a common color trio for me to work with. I remembered that this prior layout fit the bill.


The journaling was written in November of 2008. I realize that not everyone is in lurve with Mr. Obama right now. One day at a time.....

 Journaling:
Names are capable of holding power and can also aid in shaping the character of an individual. The literal translation of the name Amani is peace. It comes from the African language, Kiswahili. I always thought it to be a moniker that had a regal or stately air about it. However studies suggest that people with ethnic names are less likely  to be offered certain employment or educational opportunities. Sometimes I secretly wondered if my son's name could hinder him in his future endeavors. Then a well educated, charming individual from Illinois was elected to the United States Senate. I was drawn to his books, diverse background and compassion for the plight of the common man. He was passionate about the ideas he had to restructure our country in the midst of financial crisis.
In November 2008, at the age of 47, he became our first African American president. His name, Barack Obama causes me to be optimistic. President Obama stated, "My parents gave me an African name, Barack or 'blessed', believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success." Thank you Mr. President for inspiring our children to fly, regardless of circumstance.

11 comments:

Tamika said...

Wow the journaling is awesome, so relevant and true and straight from your heart. I know your son will treasure this always and yes with a name like Tamika I know first hand that it was harder to deal with in the workplace when I was younger but now people are more accepting of me without bias towards my name more often than not, so yes there is always hope!

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

You always, always hit the nail on the head with your words and your creativity. That's just one of the many things I admire about you.

this was really beautiful and powerful.

MyCuriousCrafts said...

Staci, your layout is amazing my friend. Great job! As a Marine who served during a war, I feel we should supprt our Commander In Chief unconditionally. Just my two cents though. ~Shen

Jill said...

Very nice! Oh but I wish it had your son's name - it has be all curious! As for being in love or not in lurve, winning the election was always going to be a touch act to follow. :-)

Tracy said...

Very powerful journaling.
I am from Canada, and think the president is doing a wonderful job. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

Gemiel said...

Great layout Staci!! I can totally relate to the name thing. My name is an Arabic name that means beautiful, but it is the male form of the name. I am a child of the 60's, way before "different" names were the norm. I got called all kinds of things in school.

Carla said...

The journaling is so amazing Staci! You were able to capture your son's name meaning and referencing him to such a person who changed American history. Love the way you worded it all!

Melissa said...

Great layout, Staci!

Susan said...

Great layout, Staci! I really liked the way you applied the story of your son's name to current events. Love the way you printed your journaling on the "stars" paper.

D said...

Amani is a beautiful name. (Can I say that about a boy's name? LOL) Great idea for the scrap page to include the quote from the President. We think he's pretty cool over at our house too. We have the L.A. times front page framed the day he was elected. We live in a conservative county so it's definitely a conversation piece ;)

Miss Misi said...

Ugh, you're always reminding me of LOs on my to-do list, lol. Great job!