.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Two years ago today...MJ

 I can't believe it has been two years since Michael Jackson passed away... Here is a LO I did about Michael shortly after his passing.  


 Journaling:
 Jackson, the King of Pop passed away on Thursday, June 25, 2009. He went into cardiac arrest and stopped breathing reportedly after an overdose of medication. Michael was only 50 years old. The Jackson brothers formed the Jackson 5 in 1964 when he was just 5 years old. They catapulted to stardom when they were signed to Motown records in 1969. A long and successful string of hits followed including, “ABC”, “I Want you Back” and “The Love you Save”. Although all of the boys were talented in their own right, arguably it was Michael’s lead vocals that truly made the group the powerhouse that it was. Although just a young boy; he sang with the fire and emotion of an older man who had experienced both joy and serious heartbreak. The Jackson 5 recorded 14 albums on the Motown label, while Michael recorded 4 of his own.
     Michael began to branch out in his late teens. He made his film debut in “The Wiz” playing the scarecrow. He collaborated with legendary producer, Quincy Jones on the albums, “Off the Wall” and “Thriller”, which became the best selling album of all time. “Thriller” garnered Michael 8 Grammy awards in 1984.
     Michael was more than a singer and actor. His style of dance was versatile, incorporating silky and fluid movement and also gritty street dancing. In addition to his trademark, the moonwalk, Michael changed the face of music videos with his production of “Thriller”. His videos were actually short films that told a story. This was markedly opposed to what was in rotation on television music channels. Michael also had the distinction of becoming the first African American music artist to have a video featured on MTV.
     But there was even more to Michael Jackson. He was a humanitarian. He created the Heal the World foundation which donated millions of dollars and food to the less fortunate. Michael and Lionel Richie led the project, USA for Africa which was formed to help aid victims of famine in Africa, particularly Ethiopia. Michael was also the doting dad of three children, Prince Michael, Paris and Prince Michael II.  
     No matter how some felt about Michael, his musical influence on many, including me has been very deep. I lovingly recall seeing Michael and his brothers in concert when I was a girl and trying (unsuccessfully) to do the moonwalk in my teen years. Thank you Michael for gifting the world with your music.

Michael Jackson--- musical legend, humanitarian and icon gone much too soon.


BTW, the original glove was in a set I purchased at dollar tree. (See below, right) I cut the glove down and added glitter and rhinestones to mimic Michael's signature glove of the 80's. Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

This is a wonderful tribute, Staci. I grew up listening to and watching MJ too. Love how you altered the glove!

Carla said...

Oh Staci, this is SO beautiful and sweet! I was such a huge fan (who wasn't LOL) and was a teenage during those Thriller years. Had my walls covered with his posters!
I was actually born in Gary, Indiana, where the Jackson's lived and was born in the same hospital as Michael...the closest claim to fame I can get. lol!!
Now I have a bit of tears in my eyes...truely a great lose :(

Tracy said...

Such a beautiful tribute to a legend.
Nicely done.

Staci Taylor said...

wow, i can't believe it's been two years, feels like yesterday! i love that you did a tribute LO - absolutely beautiful! hope you're enjoying summer break :-)

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

This is super lovely and beautiful. A great tribute to an amazing artist. At the time of his death, our family lived across the street from his mother and it was a crazy time for the neighborhood, with helicopters overhead and reporters lurking day and night. I felt so much sadness for her because I'm sure she just wanted a little peace and quiet but got chaos instead.

Jill said...

My daughter (then almost 14) actually told me the news. She had gotten a text which she (inappropriately) looked at at dinner. We're not really so big into pop, so I was truly surprised not only that both she and my then-11 year old knew who he was, but how thoroughly he permeates our culture.

Your page is very, very pretty and the journaling is a sweet tribute.

Slyde said...

wow, i cant believe its been 2 years, either. Times moves so damn fast...

Mary Jo said...

I just had to comment because we LOVE Michael Jackson here. Especially the kids! He really was a musical genius :)
You did a great tribute to him!

Gemiel said...

Wow, I can't believe it's been 2 years already. Love how you altered the glove to look like Michael's.

Susan said...

Very creative work with the glove! And I really love how all his portraits are all square. Great tribute, Staci!

Brown English Muffin said...

has it really been two years...wow