.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Removal of Consistency Equals Confusion

Wanna confuse a kindergartner?  Change something in their routine. When my students arrived in the classroom today; things were going along routinely. One child came to my table right before sharing time. (My resident super observant girl) She stood there looking confused without saying anything. She walked away and conferred with one child and then another. The calendar was consulted at one point.

"What's the matter A?" I asked.
"Isn't it Thursday??? Your big black bag is missing! We can't have the scrapbook club without the big black bag!" I explained that we were going to be making Christmas decorations and would not need the black bag.

*deer in headlights look from scrap club kids* Crickets start chirping.

I guess my explanation wasn't good enough because one boy suggested that I go home and get the black bag during my lunch time! They did have fun making these after school:

http://www.capadiadesign.com/2010/11/candy-cane-easel-card-display.html
Isn't she talented? My kiddos substituted cherry flavored multi colored candy canes. Of course they broke several and begged to eat them on the spot LOL. I sent each of them home with a non broken candy cane in addition to their projects.

8 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

What cute kids! Amazing how routine makes a difference. I notice that even being SAH w/ my 16 (eek! Almost 17) month old son and do my best to maintain our routine every day.

That candy cane stand is very cool. Thanks for sharing the link!

Kendall said...

OMG That is adorable :-) You gotta love kids!

Tracy said...

Those are so neat.
Teehee, suggesting you go home to get your bag, to cute.

Brown English Muffin said...

your kids are hilarious!!

I like the kid that suggested you go home during lunch!! LMAO

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

your kids must just have little stars in their eyes when they look at you....except for when you don't have your big black bag. then, they want you to go hungry and run home to get it. LOVE!

cute craft!

renee said...

What a cute story!

Kelly Roberts said...

too cute! have a merry christmas!
ksimonedesigns.blogspot.com

Susan said...

LOL! I love this. Kids don't miss a thing, do they? :)