.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Catfish, the TV show

She seemed incredibly sweet. We talked a bit online. She was also a mom and we talked back and forth on a scrapbooking message board. I bought from her once on ebay. Then things started to go south for her. One of her children became ill. Her husband had financial difficulty. There would be no Xmas gifts for the kids. I purchased a very small toy for her son. I stopped to wonder if things were on the up and up. I thought, "If it's for real, then a child has something to open on Christmas. If it's fake, God knows my heart and knows that I was trying to be helpful."  All at once, her web of deceit began to unravel and she was exposed as a fraud by many.

So, have you seen the show, Catfish on MTV? Nev Schulman and his partner help those in online relationships to meet face to face. In this day and age, more people are connected through social media. It makes one wonder if digital technology makes open and honest communication easier or harder. But what exactly does the term "catfishing" mean? A catfish misrepresents themselves with a phony persona or fake profile pictures on social websites such as Facebook or Twitter. This is usually done to pursue an online relationship.

I have never met a guy online but I have made some dear friends that way. (Hey, my peeps! :-) Everytime I think of Catfish I can't help but think of this episode of Family Guy:


                              

 *Have you ever been catfished?

8 comments:

Tracy said...

I never knew there was a name for this.
So sorry to hear you went through that. I know you are a kind person, and it saddens me to think someone would try and take advantage of that.
I always think the best of someone and sometimes my family thinks I am naive.
But that is just how I am.

I did chat with a lady who wanted to do a swap with me.
When I told her I didn't have time right now she got angry and kept leaving me messages.
Then asking me to just make her something.
Even stating that I had so much that I should just give her my supplies.
Yes there are takers out there, but I like to believe there are more givers out there :)

Anonymous said...

Luckily, I've never had an experience like that. My husband and I met through an online dating site, actually. There are plenty of kindhearted, good people online.
The Internet seems to have made people more skeptical, and that's not a bad thing. Trust your instincts; if something seems "fishy," then that may be the case.

emily said...

Wow! That's awful. I have heard of that happening. I always feel really cautious online. I have a few "online friends" that I keep in contact with over the years. Interestingly I also met my husband through EHarmony...and he is wonderful...but others have not been so lucky.

Gemiel said...

I've never been catfished on line (that I know of) but I have been catfished in person. People befriending you, and then when they gain your trust and friendship, misrepresentating situations in their lives just to take advantage of you.

Staci said...

Tracy, that's nuts! :-O

June and Emily, that's cool that you met your spouses online. :-)

Gemiel, that is terrible. You are such a dear person. I'm sorry that anyone would do that to you.

Dee said...

I have enjoyed visiting your blog and I would like to give you a Liebster Award. Please stop over at beneaththeelmtree.blogspot.com for details.

Serene said...

I've heard of this practice but now I know the name for it. Sorry to hear you were a victim of it. Somehow or other you will be rewarded for your kindness and generosity. Take heart in that.

NC Peach said...

I'm sorry you dealt with that. I never realized there was a name for it until the incident with the ND football player went public. I've never been catfished but I have had ppl take my kindness for a weakness--which causes me to withdraw from them a little. But I agree with Serene, when you come from a good place in your heart, God sees that and it will come back to you!