.

Friday, June 15, 2012

What's Your Game?

Is there a game at which you excel? My son is amazing at chess, water polo, karate and baseball. When I was a girl I was terrible at most sports. Some days in school I was the last one chosen for a team. Other days I was the giveaway girl. "You got Staci!" This could be followed with groans or an occasional, "Oh, man!" from the other children. I took pride at being the dodgeball champ and was pretty good at baton twirling, dance and some gymnastics. Oh, I was a really fast runner too! When you're a short, scrawny emotional mess, it is imperative to know how to run fast.

My real favorite gym related activity was hula hooping. I still get a child in class almost every year that threatens to take my title. I had one such child two years ago that I'll call, "Little Miss Lively". I mentioned that I had hula hoops in the trunk of my car for recess.

"I can hula hoop better than you." She stated this to me very matter-of-factly while swinging her long jet black hair. "At lunchtime, I'm gonna show you!" She was always a spirited one. I loved her confidence and sense of style. She made me laugh on a daily basis. "Oh, are you challenging me?," I asked. "Bring it!"
"It's on, sister!" was the bubbly one's reply.

I planned to take it easy on her because she was a kid. I didn't have to. Her eyes grew wide as I spun the hoop from my neck, down to my waist, around my knees and finally skipped it around my ankle. I taught the kids to swing the hoop around on their arms and how to use it like a jump rope. Forty-two and still the champion...

Finished a LO! Pics taken April 28, 2012. Paper is by K & Co, Cosmo Cricket and Colorbok. I added Glossy accents to the journaling strips. TFL and have a great day!



19 comments:

courtney said...

Fun layout and cute story! "Bring it, sister!" Wow, too funny. Love your pics and the shiny title!

Tamika said...

Staci I love your posts, they always make me think, lol. I was like you I was not very sports inclined. I just didn't like the anger and physical contact of most sports so in the tenth grade I decided to join the bowling team. It was fun. I started getting my own blowing gear and shoes and I made the varsity team. I still bowl on occassion but not as well as I use too. lol. Your layout is wonderful, I love the title and your photos are too cute!

Lora Oliver said...

I love this story and the LO is so much fun. You look fabulous! If that is what hula-hooping does for a body, I am heading out right now to buy two or three!

Kendall said...

I <3 this layout!! Such a cute story too!! Get your hula on :)

Sondra said...

Oh my goodness. I had tears streaming down my face reading this... TOO FUNNY!

I can not hoola hoop. I am pretty good with a Frisbee though. That is my game of choice when we play outdoor family games.

Lisa Adair said...

What a fun layout! Love this! Your color choices are great! Love you picture placement. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Fun page! I love the vibrant colors!

Gemiel said...

You go girl!!! You look like a teenager with that hula hoop. Love the layout, such fun colors and the glossy accents really make it pop. Your story sounds like mine when I was a girl, except instead of being scrawny, I was overweight. Back then they called it "chubby".

Tiffany said...

Lol, I bet she was careful who she challenged from then on. I was never super at sports, I was ok at softball.

kisatrtle said...

I have never been able to hula hoop. I am sooo jealous. You make it look easy in those pics! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Ashley Calder said...

Great layout. Love the arrangement of photos. I have such a hard time using multiple photos on one page, and you make it look so good!

Tracy said...

Great layout, and loved your storys :)
I too loved to hula hoop.
I would do that while waiting for my friend to finish supper so she could come out and play (without dropping it once ;)

Staci said...

Thank you ladies for all of your comments. Have a wonderful week!

Susan said...

I just love this! What a great story and vibrant layout! TFS!

Tamika said...

What a cute layout! Get it girl! I need to get some work in on my body! To keep going for a long time all women do!

Nirupama said...

What a cute layout! Love the glossy accents on it :)

Miss Misi said...

Fun LO! You know I'm pretty good with a hoop, too? Chal-lunge!

Staci said...

Misi, bring it! It's on like hot buttered popcorn! ;-)

Melissa said...

What a fun layout and story!