.

Monday, December 19, 2011

The Story of Beautiful Girl


The year is 1968. Segregation and Jim Crow still reign. Lynnie is a strikingly beautiful, developmentally disabled white woman and Homan is an African- American deaf mute man. They are locked up and forgotten in an institution called the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded. The two fall in love and escape. They are taken in by Martha, a retired schoolteacher and widow. By the time they are given refuge at Martha's farmhouse, they are no longer two. Lynnie has just given birth to a baby girl. Then the authorities come looking for them. Homan escapes, but Lynnie is caught. Before this happens, she whispers two words to Martha: "Hide her." This signals the beginning of a 40 year journey of Lynnie, Homan, Martha, and baby Julia.
This book took a little time to get into, but I really enjoyed it!

4 comments:

Kendall said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!! Sometimes I hate books that take awhile to get into but then it's like you get halfway through and it turns into an AMAZING book!!

I hope you have a wonderful Holiday!!!

Tiffany said...

It sounds like a fantastic read. I will check it out and thanks for the warning about the beginning of the book.

Brown English Muffin said...

Just reading this pulls me in and at the same time I'm terrified to read it.

Tracy said...

This sounds like a wonderful read.
Thank you for sharing, I really love to hear what everyone is reading.