.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Butter Pecan Cake
Kwanzaa is fast approaching. The tradition of this holiday includes honoring an ancestor in some way. My mother's favorite ice cream was butter pecan. When my siblings and I were kids, my dad took us to Friendly's Restaurant fairly often. My mom always requested for one of us to bring her back some butter pecan ice cream. I've never made a butter pecan cake but was very interested when I saw this recipe.
This is one sweet cake so it is special occasion only for me!
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
Preparation:
In 2-quart saucepan over medium low heat, brown pecans in butter until butter is lightly browned; stir constantly. Drain browned butter into a measuring cup; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, and baking powder, salt, milk, vanilla, eggs, and 1/2 cup of the browned butter. Beat for about 2 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup of the chopped pecans. Pour batter into two greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round layer cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans and cool thoroughly before frosting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Sounds delish and I don't like pecans!! :-) Happy Kwanzaa to YOU!!! :)
Did u try making it yet?
That looks scrumptious! Nice decorating job, too.
Thanks Kendall!
M-I made a small batch of cupcakes. and they turned out pretty good. It just seems weird to have cupcakes for Kwanzaa.
Serene-I can't take credit for the beautiful cake picture. Found the recipe and pic on allrecipes.com
Yun!!! I love Butter Pecan anything! and my senior year I worked as a waitress at Friendly's, then they all closed in chicago.
Can you say Jim Dandy??
;)
Staci, this looks so yummy!!! I have a crazy sweet tooth so I'd probably love it.
Oh my, that looks and sounds delish!! I love the tradition of honoring an ancestor - i'm sure that makes the holiday even more special :-)
That looks good! And nice story about your mom too!
Ohh this looks and sounds so good.
Post a Comment