.
Friday, December 9, 2011
1st December Layout Share
There are so many holidays that occur during this time of the year. My family celebrates both Christmas and Kwanzaa. This is my Kwanzaa LO from 2010. I have had people ask me what the days of Kwanzaa mean. Here is a very brief overview:
Kwanzaa is a non religious holiday that is celebrated from Dec. 26-Jan.1st. It was established in 1966 by Maulana Karenga. Kwanzaa is a time of celebration and self reflection. Each day of Kwanzaa stands for a different principle or Nguzo saba. The days of Kwanzaa are as follows:
Dec.26-Umoja/Unity
Dec.27-Kujichagulia/Self-determination
Dec.28-Ujima/Collective work and Responsibility
Dec.29-Ujamma/Cooperative economics
Dec.30-Nia/Purpose
Dec.31-Kuumba/creativity
Jan.1st Imani/Faith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Thank you for explaining what it means!!! It sounds wonderful! I am a new follower , I love your layout!!!! beautiful!!!!
Beautiful layout Staci!!! Who will you be honoring this year? I think I'll be honoring my Mom. It's been 10 years since she passed and she loved celebrating Kwanzaa.
so nice that you get to celebrate 2 holidays and what a great LO to show traditions! Love it!
Nice lo from last year. I'm looking forward to seeing this year's lo.
Thank you for sharing this.
I love to learn about other traditions.
This is such an awesome layout...I love it!!
Very neat! I learned a little about Kwanzaa when I was teaching in public school, but it was never a personal view like this.
Lovely LO and you're making me want Thickers, lol.
Post a Comment