.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Battle of the Bulge



 Hi all! I have been working out for the last couple of months. I remember exercising with my boyfriend's mom and her friends when I was about 19. The ladies decided (when I wasn't present of course) that they didn't want 98 lb. me to join them anymore because I was already thin and a little too enthusiastic about working out.

Fast forward to Summer, 2012. I love to eat, especially if a friend says, "Hey! Let's go to  [insert name of restaurant with high fat, high calorie laden deliciousness here] My treat!" I didn't get a summer school position this year,  so I could rock the tank top and elastic waist shorts every day if I wanted. Then for some reason, I decided to try on my favorite dress. It didn't go well. Ditto for my jeans and most pants. My "Secret" lady garments became snug. I had to cut myself out of one of my favorite tops. I cannot tell you how many times I got off and on the scale in disbelief; knowing that that traitor had to be lying to me. It wasn't. I couldn't believe that I let the weight creep on again. I'm actually typing out the number so I'll be forced to stay on top of it....I weighed 139.5, my heaviest. Remember, I'm only 5 feet tall. It may not sound like much to some, but the day I gave birth to DS, I weighed 127.

I also think I got a little complacent because many black men like thicker (heavy) women. Even at my heaviest, I had been told that I was small. ("Babe, what are you trying to lose weight for?")  I have a medium frame, broad shoulders and I'm apple shaped (Apples carry their weight in their arms, chest and back, but tend to have thin legs.)

I took to youtube and found some awesome videos. I did cardio for a half hour per day and about 10 minutes of weights. I  started walking the track once a week with a friend. I lost 11.5 lbs in a few weeks and felt great. Then I returned to work at the end of August. I haven't lost anything since I started. I was still working out each day and not losing anything. Frustration set in.

I dabbled in Zumba at home with a young (27) male friend. That didn't last long. I quickly realized how my ex boyfriend's mom and friends felt. He was pumped up and smiling; doing each move with precision and enthusiasm while sweaty me wanted nothing more than to lay on the floor and pant loudly. I'm going to continue on the battle of the bulge. I would love for my old tummy to make a reappearance.

Hey! Have you seen this? Cool, right?! Great motivator!

Weight Loss Simulator


1st pic: April 2012, yikes! Look at my gut!
2nd pic: September 2012, a good start!

15 comments:

Sondra said...

You go, Girl! Good for you for making a change for the healthier. My weight has snuck up on me this summer too... thanks for the motivation to get rid of it!

courtney said...

Awesome job, Staci! Keep at it!
One thing I was told was to keep changing up your diet and exercise, don't get into a rut...that being said, I kept a bit of a formula for eating during weight loss and still do: one serving of starch, one protein, one fat each meal, two veg for both lunch and supper, fruit for in-between snacks and a treat after supper is what I try to keep to now. Simple, but gives me options.
HTH!

Lora Oliver said...

Staci, you are beautiful, period, but I applaud and support your effort to get to a comfortable weight for yourself. I loved the mention of Zumba. I seriously felt that way during kickboxing class and I went to one with three walls of mirrors? I spent most of the class laughing so hard at my clumsy self that I got little working out done other than my face.

Gemiel said...

Staci, you look great in both pictures!!! I'm 4'11" and I know what 139.5 looks like all to well and you don't look that heavy in the first photo. I can really see the difference in the 2nd photo though and you look fabulous!! Have you taken your measurements lately? Even though the scale isn't going down right now, you're probably losing inches as muscle weighs more that fat. I finished another round of weight loss this summer and I've been maintaning for a couple of months now. I'm praying that I'll be able to maintain this time but I'm taking it one day at a time. You're an apple and I'm a pear, guess we're the start of a great fruit salad ROTFLOL.

Staci said...

Thanks, Sondra! Go for it!

Courtney, thanks! I find that I'm good during the day. My lunch is at 10:50 A which I hate. This is my usual menu:

Breakfast: banana smoothie with sun butter, organic vanilla milk and spinach

Lunch: grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon on a bed of spinach, with sliced strawberries on the side

Dinner: steamed chicken and shrimp with brown or jasmine rice and broccoli.

I'm great until 9pm and then I'm starving. If I get too nuts I might have some apple crisp or 100 calorie snack pack or a Fiber One bar.

I'm going to have to step up the exercise.

Lora, thanks!! I'm a kick boxing dropout. I took it when my son was going for his 1st degree brown belt. I lost 7 lbs and then the instructor quit and so did I. I couldn't see me working well with the other instructors.

G, thanks for understanding! The short statured face so much discrimination. I took my measurements. When I first started they were 40-33-36! Barely any distinction between waist and hips. Today, they are 38-29-36. Funny how in college I had a 23 inch waist.

Kelly Roberts said...

go girl! you can do it! keep doing it for you and no one else! have a terrific day!

Tracy said...

I can so relate to you.
I am under 5 ft. and I need to loose about 20 lbs.
I carry my weight evenly...and on my boobs. So I don't look overweight, but I am.
I never weighed over 100 lbs until I got pregnant.
I have heart disease and every pound is a burden on my heart.
My goal is to start with my walking and weights.
Maybe we can motivate each other :)
Good luck, you look great in those photos.

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

You, my friend, are so beautiful. Hard for me to think that there's ever room for improvement. I've missed you ! These last few months have been such a hectic time and I just read your comment about the car accident and I just wanted to hop over and tell you how relieved and happy I am to hear that you are doing okay.

gale said...

I think you look amazing. I'm 5' and about 132 and I am flat up top so I have no excuse. lol. I wish I had your gut in the before picture...

Staci said...

Kelly, thanks so much!

Tracy, I hear ya! My cholesterol was high-255. It's hovering around 195 now. Take care of you, hon!

Elizabeth,thank you! Missed you, girl!

Gale, thank you very much! Have a wonderful week!

Barbara said...

you should be so proud of yourself. It's not easy to do. Congrats on your success so far.

D said...

Good for you for starting Zumba! It's hard to stay on a diet. Keep up the good work :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the simulator, it really let me see the possibility of "after'. I am in a battle right now and just like you, at my largest people still say I am small, but I know for my height, it is too much weight for me. Yay so far, keep rocking out until the battle is won.

Totally abnormal said...

You look awesome! :) Good luck with your goals sweetie!

Staci said...

Barbara and Denise, thanks so much!

Tiffany, go for it! I also didn't forget you.

Heather, thanks so much, girl! Have a great week!