I am a change of life baby, so I have listened to older music for my entire life. When I was 10, I fell in love with Motown sensation, Smokey Robinson. I was mesmerized by his gorgeous green eyes and incredible writing skills. He penned songs for classic artists such as the Temptations, Mary Wells and Marvin Gaye. I studied every Smokey album as well as the recordings he did with his group, The Miracles.
__________________________________________
I told my dad that I was going to marry Smokey when I grew up. There were two major flaws with that idea. Smokey was already married to the lovely Claudette Robinson and he had two children, one of which was a year older than me. I saw many Smokey concerts as a youngster, but hadn't seen him in many years.
***I was very fortunate to have been able to see Smokey Robinson in concert on April 20th. The concert was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! We had 4th row seats and Smokey looked great. What other 72- year- old can rock pants, a belt, and boots all in purple leather?! (Sorry, forgot that he turned 72 in February!) His infectious laugh, great sense of humor, and melodic voice kept the crowd on their feet for most of the night. He sounds exactly the way he does on his recordings.
My son stepped in to take the ticket of a friend of mine who had to work. He was thoroughly impressed by the performance and said it was better than anything he'd seen before. I had to smile because I felt the same way. I think this man may have spoiled me once again. I haven't been to a classic show in a long time. There were no pyrotechnics, no autotune, and no long winded opening acts. For the most part; it was simply Smokey and his microphone---just the way it should have been. I got some pretty good pics, so a LO is forthcoming!



13 comments:
Wow...he's 71 and still performing! Awesome!
Sounds like a pretty great show!! :)
Oh how I love that whole era of music. It is awesome that you got to see the show. I would love to see him in person.
I love him too! ;)
Oh yes, love that man and his singing too!! What a treat to get to see him and 71??!! My goodness I didn't realize that, he does not look his age at all. I can say that era of music was my favorite too. No screaming, no unintelligible lyrics, just good music and great singing voices!
I love his music, too! How can he be 71? That doesn't seem possible.
Ladies, I totally forgot! Smokey actually turned 72 in February!
That's AWESOME. Can't wait to see what you do with the photos!
Did you see him on Dancing with the Stars last week? He was great! I can't believe he's 72. Doesn't look or act it. He's a legend, for sure. I love Motown!
Tracie, yes! I thought that he was really good on DWTS!:-)
Wow, Smokey R., that's a blast from my past. I love his music! I know that was a great concert.
Wow - sounds perfect for a page :)
I totally agree, Smokey has a unique voice and can still really "rock it". I, personally, have always been a huge Al Jarreau fan, and he is now 72 - I'm guessing he can still "Get His Boogie Down"!!!
You made me want to pull out some old vinyl and spin it!
Karen
Post a Comment