It's official! Spring is here! The first day of the season coincided with a fairly new celebration. March 20th is the Very Hungry Caterpillar Day! Eric Carle has long been a favorite of my students and this year is no different. Here's Mr. Carle's website and post about the subject:
http://ericcarleblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/very-hungry-caterpillar-day.html
The children were so excited for spring to arrive. We discussed signs of spring and the holidays that the season will bring...We also talked about the life cycle of a butterfly. The children were all very enthusiastic, especially "J" who commented, "I remember! First, he's an egg. Next, he's a caterpillar. Then, he goes into a RACCOON..." I appreciate his proper use of time order words, but the raccoon comment definitely made me smile.
We read the story, The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
The kids made this in class:
I made this one for summer school last year:
We made our own version of fruit salad with apples, bananas, strawberries, whipped cream, and crushed graham crackers for topping.
We also had fun creating this macaroni butterfly life cycle.
Of course, I wore this:
Look! Our butterfly pavillion and caterpillars finally arrived!
Hopefully, we'll get a few butterflies. Will keep you posted! :-)


12 comments:
Wow Staci, you are such a fun teacher!!! If a were a little younger, well a whole lot younger LOL, I would love to be one of your students. Thanks for the glimpse into your classroom.
Thanks Gemiel! I have such a good time with the children. They have grown so much this year. I am super proud of them!
Love the butterfly stages with noodles. I want to try that with my daughter. Thank you so much for sharing!
Cool! That is one of my favorite children's books.
Your are such a fun teacher. You can tell you have a love of teaching and your students enjoy your class.
I remember reading this book to my girls when they were little.
Love the craft projects, so cool
great projects, what a blessing it must be to get to spend your day with sweet 5 & 6 yr olds!
looks like lots of fun!
You seem like an amazing, engaged teacher. Your students are blessed.
Rosie
Awesome, fun unit for the kids. Great job!!!
Ok, it's official. I want to be a kid in that class. That looks like such a fun day was had by everyone. Here's wishing you get some butterflies. What a nice learning tool that kit is.
Cute, cute, cute!!!
I love Eric Carle :)
And seeing a post like this makes me miss teaching!
This is such a great set of projects. My son loves this book, thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment