.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Write it Wednesday





We've been teaching the kindergartners about different types of poetry. I have been sharing some of my pieces as well as sharing nursery rhymes, etc. They are really awesome about creating poems that rhyme and writing  pieces from a prompt. Poetry using phrases throw them for a loop. I can tell that they are all itching to add punctuation. Maybe I stressed that too much this year. Poor kiddos. We also touched on how song lyrics are like poems. Some really liked haiku. (A haiku is a poem of three lines. The first line has 5 syllables; second line has 7 syllables ; third line has 5 syllables.) Here's one of mine:


Flowers blossom now.
Children run across the park.
Nature dances near.

Can you write a haiku?


4 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

Every time I come,
Your artsy flair and kind wit,
Leave me wanting more.

Brown English Muffin said...

You have the patients of a saint!!!

Did you finish your pottery yet?

Staci said...

Elizabeth--cool haiku girl! :-)

M-No. I haven't been back there at all. I'll get around to it someday. I have some scrapping to do first.

Tracy said...

I loved writting poems in school.
I can see why the kids enjoy it so much.