.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
That's the sound of me going back to work. I need to feel vital and work really does that for me. Without a doubt this past summer is the second worst that I have ever had (the worst being when my dad and oldest brother died less than a month apart.) Living with a deteriorating parent (early dementia, loss of muscle control which equals falling, diabetes, sarcoidosis, etc. etc. etc.) has been no easy task and is generally what one would call a labor of love. I feel guilty many days because it feels more like labor. My mom and I have never ever been close. In fact, she told me she loved me for the first time I can ever remember just a few days ago. There are days when I feel like my sanity is trying to get away from me and like a little kid I want to fill up my bandana, tie it to a stick and run away from home. I have been doing some reading on caregiver burn out and I realize now that my problem stems from not having time for myself. This summer a big outing for me was going to the grocery store. I need to find time to go to a movie, take a long bubble bath or read a few chapters of a new book. I'm trying to keep it together for my DS because he still needs me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thank you for being so honest and sharing how what you're doing now is exhausting! Caregiving is often a thankless job that may earn you a place in heaven, but not provide much reward while you're doing it.
One thing I learned recently that we ALL need help. And that ASKING for help is very difficult to do, but when we do it the people who respond see it as an opportunity to love and share of themselves.
Just because you aren't the one who is sick doesn't mean you don't need help. From my corner of cyberspace I'm sending a great big hug and prayers for good help.
peace and love, patty
Oh gosh, Staci, I can only imagine how difficult this time is for you. You are right - you do need to take time for yourself as it's important that you remember YOU through this difficult time. Many many hugs to you, girl!!
oh gosh, I'm so sorry that you and your mom are going through this. I can't imagine the stress. :(
I'm glad that you're able to get away from it for a little bit at a time now.
I'm sorry that your relationship with your mom is suffering. I hope you can find some time to recharge and take care of yourself.
I'm so sorry for your losses and everyone needs time to themselves...it keeps you the best you can be! I'll be thinking of you. Hope school is going well!
Hugs!
Carla
Staci-send me aPM and I can share some thoughts with you about this post..I get where you are coming from unfortunately. BTW, I have seen your published work & didn't know it was you!
KateB
http://www.kateblue.blogspot.com
Post a Comment