.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

We Will Never Forget



September 11, 2001. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was on the second day of my new job as a teaching assistant. Several coworkers and I were in the art room stamping text books when my sister (also a teaching assistant) came in and told us all that a plane had hit one of Twin Towers. We all became frantic and upset and one of the coordinators told us to get back to work. I wondered if she had a heart since planes just don't hit the towers every day. Students and parents with loved ones who worked at the Towers and the Pentagon begin to panic. Bomb threats were called in to several schools. I have never felt so helpless in my life.
When I went home I saw police cars blocking highway exits so no one could leave the Island. I felt that if anything was to happen here we would be sitting ducks. My 8 months pregnant niece was working in the city and we were worried about what was happening to her. It still boggles my mind that the children in many of my classes have never lived with the Twin Towers being in existence. If you have young children, this book written by first graders about September 11th, is a fantastic one that I read to my classes each year.

September 12th We Knew Everything would be Alright


My heart goes out to every person affected by this horrible tragedy. Hug your loved ones tonight. God bless America.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's amazing how where we were and what we were doing on 9-11 are forever branded into our brains and our hearts. thanks for this heartfelt post today. i've been thinking about that day seven years ago, and all that's happened in my own life since (and what it might be like for the families who lost loved one today). prayers go with us all for peace.

Chris said...

thanks for sharing your story!

Staci Taylor said...

Such a sad sad day. I don't think any of us will ever forget where we were when we found out!! Hope you are doing well, staci :-)