My lovely store has turned into an outlet center. Everything is 40% off. As of January 5th, they are no longer giving teacher discounts or taking returns. I am so sad. This AC Moore has been a staple since my 3 local scrapbook stores closed. They have a pretty good teacher section and are always busy. The writing is on the wall though. I have spoken to many people online on the East Coast and quite a number are losing their AC Moores too. After this all we will have is Michaels.
With the loss of print magazines and big chains like Archivers, I have to wonder...Is crafting a dying art?
-----------------------------------------------
Update from AC Moore on Facebook :

4 comments:
I know what you mean and I have been wondering the same thing but I have been crafting all of my life in some way or another so it will never die for me.
I sure hope it's not dying!! We lost (and are losing another) local stores. We still have a few, plus Hobby Lobby and Michaels, but it's not the same.
I hope not. However we only have 1 local store where I live and when I moved here there were a lot more.
I don't think crafting is a dying art, I just think it will end up being controlled by major big box stores and online shopping. If you go online you can get scrapbook items from places like Sears, Target, Kmart, Amazon etc. I was just in Michaels the other day and their scrapbook section is expanding. I noticed that the Recollections brand has lots of "knock offs" of other scrapbook lines. They are also starting to carry more and more products from companies like Heidi Swapp, MME and DCWV. We don't have any more LSS anywhere in my area, just Michaels (we have 2 of them) and AC Moore. Our AC Moore doesn't show any signs of closing as of now, but I know they are going to find it harder and harder to compete with Michaels, just because they are a much smaller store.
Post a Comment