.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Past & Present...Childhood Dream vs Current Job

We're expecting a winter blizzard today. It's already starting to dust out there. Prayers for anyone in the path of this one. We are looking at a minimum of a foot of snow and powerful winds. Outages  are likely. I'm ready for spring.....

 My son is in his second semester of college. The costs of his  books are kuh-razy! He is adjusting quite nicely though. DS is an Art major. I'll admit that I thought, "Lord, why? Will he be able to find a job with that?" No offense to any Art majors. Then I remember how much I was discouraged from pursuing my dream of writing. DS is very creative and I'm sure he'll be fine with whatever career he embarks on in life. Even if Art doesn't work I want him to have had the chance to try. I still yearn to write but self publishing is more expensive than my budget will allow right now. I will get there someday...
   
*What did you want to be when you were a child? What is your current occupation?*

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I hope you ar safe and warm in the storm.

Congrats to your son. My mother was just like you when I went to school to study Theatre. She didn't discourage me but suggested I take a second major to be safe.

I have wanted to be on the stage from a very early age and I am happy I get to do it often locally.

Sarah Coggins said...

Hope you are safe & warm! This is one crazy storm. My mom was expecting nothing but rain and woke to 5in yesterday. Thankful it's just rain down here. Honestly, I don't remember much of my childhood career thoughts other than they seemed to keep changing! I did finally choose to major in Architecture. Long story, but I got the 4 year degree. Never the 5th & exam so not registered. I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing. Designing without the pressure of license and now am actually doing structural design instead of architecture. Kind of fun since I swear my brain does have an engineering tilt. ;)

Tracy said...

Isn't that the truth about the text books, lol.
I agree, I would never discourage my girls from what they love to do.
I wanted to be a teacher of young children.
I ended up doing the books for my hubby's business, but that allowed me to stay at home with my girls..and I enjoyed teaching them.
I am retired now though, never thought I would be retired at 45.

Angi Barrs said...

I hear ya on your concern. My oldest daughter is a theater major out in California. She has gotten some small acting jobs, but I always wonder if she should major in something "more practical". I still keep encouraging her. You never know...their artistic dreams may prove success for them

NC Peach said...

I agree with you about the text books as well! I was a Psych major in school, so we had to purchase those big, expensive text books only for them to be practically worthless at the end of the semester, lol. Hats off to you for letting your son pursue his dreams too! I understand your concern, but I think when a person truly pursue their gift/talents, it will pay off one way or another.

NC Peach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.