The title of this entry was not the easiest thing to do for me. I love my job and the children that I see on a daily basis. I automatically smile when a child is near. It's easy for me to greet strangers with kindness. I smile and warmly greet most anyway. It's a lot harder for me to grin at the person who smiles in my face and talks behind my back when she doesn't realize I can hear her.
Another issue is that I'm an introvert. I tend to observe people before I speak too much. (I may make jokes and laugh with others once I feel comfortable with them though.), but I may also bury my nose in a book or bolt from a room when gossiping starts. Some of my friends say that makes me seem aloof or standoffish. I'm not trying to be. It just makes me feel uncomfortable when people are cackling at the expense of those who respect and admire them.
I thought this would be a good exercise though.; part of me releasing those negative feelings that can control me. I did this yesterday and it actually worked! Is anyone else working on one little word exercises? Have you tried something new this year?

8 comments:
Hey Staci, I am trying. My word is CHANGE and I am trying to put myself out there and do things I normally wouldn't do because of fear or because I am too shy to get involved. Good to see that your are putting your word to use and that it is working for you.
Not doing the word thing, but I admire you for leaving the room when gossip starts. I have a coworker that I've had to back away my friendship with because she really starting to enjoy other's misfortune. I don't want to get infected with that attitude. Glad I'm not the only one!
Agree that kindness goes a long way and a smile is such an easy way. Also admiring you for walking away. It's easy to get sucked into the ugliness if we stay close. Sad that so often people come to that. The world would be such a brighter place if we all smiled more and were kinder to one another. :)
Loved reading this post! It says so much about you and all I can say is you're such a wonderful, loving woman!!
Staci, you could be describing me! I know exactly what you mean. And I have been thought of as snobby at times when really it's just my introverted nature. But once I get to know you, watch out! :)
And I agree. I pray each night with my children that we will be kind and gentle to each other. And when I am out and tempted to turn away, or feel "road rage" I just smile and wave instead :) It does make a difference.
I totally agree with everything you said.
I don't like bad mouthing others either. I can't respect that person as much once they do that.
Hey stranger! I love this post - I think it says a lot about your character to be able to smile at everyone, even if their words may deem them underserving.... a little kindness goes a long way and you never know how you could inspire them to change!
I can't say I've tried something new this year but I am working on a major change... I do try to smile at everyone, but lots of times I fall short. I have found that a smile goes a long way, it can actually make someone's day. You never know what people are going through.
Post a Comment