.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Never Give Up....


Very few people know this. Sometimes I feel that to speak about it is to embrace it, which I'm not. I started having some issues with my left foot about two years ago this past June. It would alternate from feeling tingly, numb or a burning feeling. I did what I usually do. I ignored it for ages until it became increasingly annoying. It was painful to wear heels. That's a big deal for 5 foot tall me. I figured it was just an extension of the carpal tunnel syndrome issues I had with my left hand.

Then the neurologist diagnosed me with peripheral neuropathy--damage to my nervous system. One of the most common causes is diabetes. I was beside myself with grief. My oldest brother died from diabetic complications. So did my mom. My mom was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about two years before she passed away in 2009. In the last week of her life, she could not walk unassisted. How could this happen to me in my 40's after what it did to my mom in her 70's? ( I had to reconcile these feelings with God.)

Thankfully, consults with two other doctors confirmed that I didn't have diabetes but needed to be careful about what and how I eat. So, I walk, run and do cardio/dance. I may not be as graceful as I used to be, (I took ballet, tap, jazz, African dance, baton twirling, swimming and was on kickline as a youth) but I think that I'm doing great! No one has noticed anything different about me, except the weight loss. I won't give up. PN can't beat me. I won't claim it. It's not mine.

This man's video has been a serious source of inspiration for me.

Warning: You may need some Kleenex handy to watch it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season! I wish you all a wonderful and prosperous 2013!


8 comments:

Lisa Echerd said...

That is an awesome video! Thanks so much for sharing. And for sharing your personal story. I'm glad you got another opinion and I hope your journey is successful and pain free. I've struggled with sciatica this year so I know how frustrating it is when you feel these sensations and can't sit or move the way you always did before, but there are remedies and you can get better. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Good luck to you on this journey. I saw this video earlier this year and was so completely moved by it and the strength it required. It's amazing what can happen when you say "I can" instead of "I can't". :)

Tracy said...

Thank you so much for both sharing this and warning us to grab a tissue. This is so inspiring.

Nirupama said...

Praying for you Staci. So sorry you have to deal with this and for the losses you have had. My mother and all my grandparents suffered from diabetes.
Glad to hear you are doing so well with your own PN. And have a happy holidays!!

Tiffany said...

Tear jerker indeed. Wow. Thank you for being honest and open in sharing your journey, you are brave for doing so. May your 2013 be full of joy and inspiration.

NC Peach said...

My father and some of my aunts and uncles are dealing with diabetes, and I'm sorry that you are dealing with it as well. But thank you for sharing your story and the story of the man in the video. I saw him on a morning show earlier this year, but didn't get to see his progress. I'm grateful for your determination, and will pray for your continued strength into the new year! Merry Christmas!

Gemiel said...

Wow, what an inspirational video. Thanks for sharing it with us Staci. Glad to hear that you are not embracing your diagnosis, not letting it beat you... instead you're taking it head on. With God all things are possible, he is the ultimate physician. Congrats on your weight loss. God's peace and blessings to you and Amani in the new year.

Brown English Muffin said...

I'm not even going to watch it that man is standing with a cane then standing on his head...I want to be like him when I'm older!! LOL