.

Monday, May 23, 2011

The scents...the smells...

 When I was a little girl,, there was a sweet older gentleman who lived across the street with his wife and children. He was friends with my parents. He also smoked a pipe. While I have never been a fan of smoking, I absolutely loved the smell of that pipe. When I smelled it I knew that Mr. C was outside because his wife didn't like for him to smoke in the house. Mr. C and his family moved away ages ago. Whenever I smell a pipe I think of him.

  *What scents bring back memories for you?*

6 comments:

Brown English Muffin said...

Pipes do smell good.

Sarah Coggins said...

That reminds me of my grandfather - although he was allowed to smoke in the house. ;) LOL Amazing how a scent can remind you of people, places, things so easily.

Gemiel said...

The smell of coffee brewing always reminds me of my mother. My Mom was a big coffee drinker, back in the days before instant coffee and Starbucks. When I was a little girl, she had a coffee pot that she put on the stove that had a small clear glass bubble at the top. I think they were called percolators. I loved to stand by the stove, smell the coffee brewing and watch it swirl around in the litle glass bubble. I never developed a taste for coffee, but I love the way it smells.

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

Whenever I smell Clorox, I think of my elementary school. I don't know if we had an OCD janitor or the principal really, really wanted the school to be clean at all times, but the man was always mopping. And it smelled like clorox. So now, every time I smell it, I think of my old school. So weird.

Tracy said...

Bread cooking reminds me of late nights with my mom.
She would bake bread late at night, when everyone was in bed sleeping. I would wake up to the smell, sneak out of bed and she would give me the warm end piece with butter melted in it.

Susan said...

Oh this is a hard one for me. I'm not sure if I can describe it. It was my Granny's house. I was out the other day running errands and smelled it. It didn't exactly smell like anything; but it smelled like everything. If that makes sense. :P