.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

¡Menuditis!

1983. The year of jelly shoes, high tops, rubber bracelets and crimped hair. This year marked the height of my Menuditis or Menudo mania. No, not this type of Menudo:
I mean the latin boy band from the sunny isle of Puerto Rico. You know, the guys with cute little faces, high voices, wiggly dance moves and neon clothing. The problem with this group (properly titled because their name means small change or little guys) was that they retired members whenever one boy was too old (usually sixteen), too tall or his voice changed.
The guys had their own television show called La Gente Joven de Menudo (The Young People of Menudo). I watched every weekend on Canal cuarenta y siete. (Channel 47) Watching their show and telenovelas/Spanish soap operas taught me how to speak Spanish very well. (I am grateful for the experience because I frequently have to speak Spanish at work.)
     My favorite member of Menudo was a curly headed, dimple cheeked boy named Charlie Rivera. (see below) I especially loved hearing his accent when he was learning to speak English. What a cutie! (swoon)
      I attended every Menudo concert in NY and some in Jersey during a 5 year span. (I couldn't go to their concerts until I was 13.) I also amassed a huge collection of t-shirts, pictures, buttons and keychains, much of it purchased from Menuditis, an entire store devoted to Menudo paraphernalia, formerly located on East 3rd Street in NYC.
     Then came that fateful day...On October 3, 1986 the announcement was made that my Charlie was being replaced by a young boy named Ralphy. I spent the entire day crying. My teenaged world was ending. Still I managed to trudge on for almost another year. My goal was to meet all of the members. I met some of the guys at record signings, car shows and other events. I even got to perform as a chorus girl for former member Ray Reyes at the Marc Ballroom in  1987. (I would share these pics if my son hadn't laughed uncontrollably at my coke bottle glasses and crazy hair.)
     I chuckle when I think of some of the nutty things I did for the love of Menudo. I chased their limos, snuck into their hotels and chased their float down FORTY SEVEN city blocks in 90 degree heat during the Puerto Rican day Parade. Aaaah, the memories! Here are a few pics of my bedroom way back when:
Below: On the left is part of my Charlie wall.
2nd pic: (the one with the pole) is just various pics of the guys. (The little dude in red in the group poster is Ricky Martin!) 3rd pic: Group shots and some single photos of Ray Reyes and Draco Rosa (Rosa was recently diagnosed with non Hodgkin lymphoma. My prayers are with you Draco!)

 This last picture was part of my ceiling. Yes, my ceiling was covered too!


*So spill...who was your teen celebrity crush?*

10 comments:

Brown English Muffin said...

WOW I can't believe you still have the pictures from then!!

My teen crush was Bobby Brown!

Melissa said...

How fun! Love seeing those pictures. :)

I loved the Backstreet Boys.. especially Nick! hehe

Serene said...

Memories! I remember the craze surrounding Menudo. It's nice you have pictures of your room from back then.

Lora Oliver said...

These are fantastic pics! I wish I had the ones of my room when I was in the full on New Kids on the Block phase. Seriously, I was cra-azy about them.

Tracy said...

Loved reading about your band passion. LOL at the stalking of the band though ;)
As for a certain crush, I liked so many of the cute boys, ya I was a bit boy crazy. David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Leaf Garritte. Ok I will stop now as I am showing my age...lol.

Staci said...

M, ha ha Bobby Brown! Before or after he left New Edition?

Melissa, now "I Want it That Way" is embedded in my brain LOL.

Staci said...

Lora, I agree! Jordan was totally hot.

Tracy, I used to watch the Partridge Family. "I Think I Love You" was one of my faves. Still know all the words... Leif Garrett was a total cutie too. I can't believe how different he looks now.

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

I really didn't think it was possible to like you any more, but clearly, your great taste in men gives you another boost in my book.

I LOVED George Michael. It was a sickness.

Sara said...

OMG!! I was so into Menudo too! But you take the cake! I was too young to go to concerts. :( I was in love with Ricky Martin! Thanks for bringing back some memories!

Susan said...

Ahhh...the eighties! sigh... I had a pair of painful purple jellies. Loved, Loved, Loved.....anything Duran Duran. I also had an odd obsession with staring at Billy Idol. Not a crush...ew....but he was way weird and more different than anything my 12 year old eyes had seen in Ol' KY. haha!