.

Monday, August 2, 2010

It's Almost Over...

   

*courtesy of school clip-art.com*

summer school that is! I've been having a great time working with first graders again! It seems like an eternity since I've been in a first grade classroom. The children are such characters. They really crack me up! It has also been a great opportunity to further use my Spanish (two of the children speak very little English.) They are putting on a presentation about community helpers next week.  I hope all goes well.

4 comments:

Carla said...

Its so amazing what you do Staci! And aren't first graders the funniest little creatures. My daughter just finished first and I'm loving this age.
Hey, you should find me on facebook if you're on there. Just look for Carla Tarabus.
Have a great night!

Brown English Muffin said...

ok I'm confused you have 1st graders in summer school? What went wrong?

Staci said...

Mel,
Some children are in summer school for enrichment purposes. I have one child who can read circles around anyone and I always bring more challenging work for her. I applaud the parents who don't want their children to be stagnant during the summer, especially when they have to work. Some children have learning difficulties and unfortunately, not every teacher is going to be a perfect fit. Children also mature at different rates.
It is really rewarding though. I have one student who told me 2 weeks ago that he wasn't good at school stuff. Can you imagine this from a 6 year old?! Now he is so proud of himself for picking up the various math concepts we've gone over. It's pure bliss I tell ya. :-)

Staci Taylor said...

Glad you've been enjoying summer school, staci - i'm sure your students are lucky to have you! and what an added bonus that you're learning some spanish ;-)