
two extreme packrats fell in love and got married. They had four loving children. The fourth child was an odd duck. She hated the clutter but was forced to live with it. She would wait for said parents to leave the house on small outings and throw away expired coupons and broken household items. As she grew older, she would dance with glee each summer when the parents went on vacation. You see this is when she'd rent a dumpster to clear out the house. The parents liked the way their comfy old home looked when it was clutter free but alas; it never stayed that way for long.
Eventually the fourth child became an adult....(a picky one,although her home was in need of much repair and miles from perfect.) The product labels in her cabinets had to all face a certain way. That also held true for all of the clothes hangers in her closets. The money in her wallet had to face the same way as well.(The highest denomination had to be placed towards the back of the wallet.) She might wash and dry your drinking glass before you've finished the very last sip.
Just how did this neurotic, analytical mess of a Virgo come to be a scrapbooker?? Scrapbookers are notoriously known for saving precious mementos to be shared with future generations. I'll admit to scrapping and saving the results of some of my son's boyhood injuries (stitches, etc.) but I've also been known to throw away all of the pictures that I don't use. I rarely make a layout without a sketch or prewritten journaling. I tend to stay caught up in my scrapping. I need to try something to help me think outside the box a little more, (especially with my scrapbooking.) Any suggestions? :-)
10 comments:
start small,
un-alphabatize the soup cans
(yes, my sis is like that) and scatter them around the cupboard, knock over a couple of boxes while you are at it!!
put out a bin and start tossing bits and pieces, when it starts overflowing...get another bin!!
I had to laugh when I read this post. Because we share a birthday, we have some very similar traits. We Virgos are known for being particular, and I, too, am the child of a pack rat. It's funny because whenever I go visit my mom, I end up tossing out lots of stuff. She complains, but she gets ignored. LOL. I have always been a little Monk-ish about certain things, but I did learn to let some things go after I had my daughter. Now if I could just get my scrapping caught up like my twin...
I have no suggestions for you. I'm in the same basic boat. My linear, analytical thought processes only enable me to perceive what is actually inside said box. :)
Thanks Karen Sue,
I should have made myself much clearer. I may never be normal where the house cleaning is concerned. I would like to think outside the box where scrapping is concerned. :-)
Ericka, I hear ya! It's still an ongoing process. My mother still tries to rescue broken items from the trash bin.
Hello, i saw your nice message on muy 2 peasssss, thankssss, kisses from México!
Hi Staci :) I was going to suggest that you should make a page using only what's left out on your desk, but then it hit me that you probably don't leave stuff out! LOL So next time you're done with a project, resist the urge to clean up and make another project with what's out!
Girl, you are too funny. As to thinking out of the box in scrapping, start by scraplifting to learn a new technique. Then try switching mediums. Lately, I have been drawn to mixed media type altering and digi scrapping(along with my usual photography). I know that I will never be truly "free-style" when it comes to scrapping, but switching it up helps to keep it fresh (er).
Oh my, I was totally cracking up while reading your post. Although our names are spelled the same, we definitely don't have the neat/organized gene in common, lol! I would try by buying a product that you think you would never use - something that seems totally out of your comfort zone. That will give you the opportunity to try something new - I always find that when I try something new in scrapping that I never thought I would like, I often fall in love with the new way!
Hi Staci,
I have a few suggestions for you...I know how you feel!
1. Make a small basket and put a few items that you purchased a long time ago that you loved but never used...promise to use at least one those products on your page.
2. Rearrange/reorganize your scrap space, you'll be revived to want to use some of it.
3. Something I'm doing right now...just got back from our vacation to California. We took about 1000 pics. I made a collage on photoshop and put 8 pics on a page. The LO's are on my blog. Then I got some 12x12 inserts from Archivers that hold 12, 4x6 photos(Fancy Pants and Pebbles makes them too). I'm going to put them in my vacation album so its a combo scrap and photo album.
4. Take a class on something you could learn about more. Stamping, etc?
5. Visit Ali Edwards blog...she has out of the box projects there. Lots of journaling too.
6. Try a digital page. I learned a lot from watching Jessica Sprague's tutorials.
7. When I don't feel like scrapping, I make cards. Its a way to wake up your artistic senses and it make give you other ideas.
Hope this helps...
I too am a Virgo...it's a tough job being a Virgo! Also...I left you a little something on my blog today!
I have the "sorting gene," but at the same time I've very disorganized.
Post a Comment