.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

I am Not my Hair



(photo) The multi talented artist, India.Arie

The Memory Makers Idea Gallery 8 is out and it is beautiful! I don't have a traditional layout in this magazine. My page is more like a big paper pieced rendition of myself. I made it to pay tribute to incredible soul singer, India. Arie's tune, "I am Not my Hair." What many people do not know is that hair can actually be a bone of contention with many women of color. There are arguments about whether we are "selling out" if we chemically straighten our hair or wear weaves. Some look upon those who wear natural styles like afros and locs with great disdain. Too often we have love-hate relationships with our hair. Heck, we still describe people as having good or bad hair! Spike Lee even focused on it in his 1980's movie, "School Daze". (For a real eye opener go to You Tube and type in "good and bad hair". A musical clip from the movie, entitled, "Madame Re-Re's Salon" will come up.)
I remember being a little girl; dreading the scorching hot summer days, sitting in the kitchen while my mother pressed my hair with a big metal hot comb. (I had that thick Rudy Huxtable from "The Cosby Show" hair back then.) I grumbled about having to have my hair pressed since my mom had that "wash and go" hair that grew like wildfire. She complained about my thick hair. I pointed out that she was the one who married my dad and gave me this hair in the first place ;-) Now, as an adult, I wear my medium length hair however I want. Some days I'll wear a bun, a ponytail, or braids, whether it's hair that grew from my head or a piece I purchased from the store. Our hair shouldn't be what defines who we are. It's not what's on our heads that is most important---It's what's underneath that counts.
*Peace*

India.Arie featuring Akon "I am Not my Hair"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bZd1KeZhjfU

7 comments:

Staci Taylor said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Staci with an I ;-) I absolutely love your layout and the message behind it... very powerful! And that paper piecing is so stinkin' cool!

Krissynae said...

I loved your entry. It is true. Some times we need a little bit of a change. I have hair pieces that I wear when I am having a bad hair day. I think all wear have a hate hate relationship with their hair. We alway say we like so in so hair but what we do not realise they probably hate their hair just like we do. I agree that we could not judge people for what style, color or even if it is their own. It is part of their personality.

Ericka said...

Well said girl. The whole good/bad hair thing is such a joke to me. People say my niece has "good" hair simply because it's not coarse and grows like a weed. But it's also very fine, tangles easily, and won't hold a style. Meanwhile, my daughter has thick, coarse hair that grows more deliberately, but her hairstyles can last for days if necessary (even longer in braids, which my niece's hair won't even hold for a day).

Anyway, I'm going to pick up a copy of the MM book just to see your layout. I always show l'il G the layouts done by her auntie Staci and her other "aunties" from the board. She'll love this one :)

Staci Taylor said...

I just had to come by again (are you sick of me yet? lol) b/c I just saw that you started that threaded on 2peas congratulating me for the LO of the day. You are SO sweet! That was so nice of you and totally made my day! Thanks girl! I hope you had a wonderful 4th!!

Gabrielle said...

What a great story. I've never heard this before. But we all have something we are having to explain, accept or just plain understand. Love how you've said it. Can't wait to see the book!

Jill said...

Very nice post! I'm always so jealous of the braids, yet I've been assured that I would have second thoughts if I actually had them.

Pearl Maple said...

Great post.
We all seem to have a love/hate relationship with our hair and the things we do to it!
Recently we welcomed a little granddaughter to the family who has been blessed with a wild head of hair, only 2 months old and strangers are commenting on who she is based on her hair.
Always important to remember to appreciate the person behind their packaging.