
Today my son had practice for his Confirmation. (For anyone who is unfamiliar with this term, Confirmation is a sacrament in Christian churches that serves to renew one's faith with God and the church. It usually occurs in adolescence.) I am proud of my son for being so deeply committed to what he believes in. There is no question in his mind that he is meant to be a Roman Catholic. Today I truly felt disconnected in the church I have attended since I was a first grader. I have been wondering for some time if I am on the correct religious path. I pray several times a day, thanking God for my blessings and asking for very, very little. I listen to gospel music each day and sing it with the fervor and enthusiasm I have for my secular music. (Music really moves me!) However, when I'm at mass it feels like, "Stand up, sit down, stand up, kneel, repeat". I'm merely going through the motions. I wonder why I don't feel the type of connection in my church that I experience when I pray anywhere else. I have been on an educational and spiritual journey lately, studying everything from the Qu'aran to speaking with members of the Church of Latter Day Saints. I want to know as much as I can about everything before I can make any serious life altering decisions.
8 comments:
Sounds like you are on the right track - educating yourself before making a change. I had the worst time finding a church here. Started with Presbyterian (as I was raised) and finally stumbled into a Methodist church where DH & I are members today. It was the enthusiasm of the Pastor in sermon and in person that drew us in. That along with the people are what led us to stay. I'll keep you in my prayers that you find the right church home! :)
I hope you are able to find a new church home. I understand where you are coming from some days I feel the same way.
Congrats! Sounds like a great scrapbook page about your cutie pie son.
I wish everyone was as open minded as you...I hope you find a new place you can call home and feel comfortable in.
We are going to a friends communion this weekend at a church in Bellemore.
You have to have an open mind and an open heart to recieve blessings. You are definitely on the right path. You should check out The Seven World Religion introduced, OUR RELIGIION by Arvind Sharma and Going Home*Jesus and Buddha as Brothers by Thich Nhat Hanh. Both books give you a indepth view of several religions. Going Home changed my life, just an amazing and an uplifting voice. I'm a team member at Scrap Faith, scrapfaith.blogspot.com which challenges you with different spiritual/religious challenges each month. Several team member from all types of different religious backgrounds. You should check it out.
Good luck to you in your journey.
Hi Staci, thanks for the comment on my blog!!
I just wanted to respond on this post and say congratulations on your son's confirmation. Also, good luck on your spiritual journey. You are praying and searching for answers and that is when we are open to God's will for us. I know that what He wants for us is so much better than what we can even imagine. I hope you find what you are looking for and can find peace and happiness.
Oh and btw, my fiance is from NY!!
Staci, I totally understand what you are saying. I know lots of ppl who have left various churches because they didn't feel at home, or felt that there was so much "structure" that they somehow missed the msg. I'll bet if you spend some time visiting other churches you'll find one where you feel awesome and leave completely inspired! Thanks for stopping by my blog, too! Janet
I understand how you feel; I felt that way when I was younger and tried just about every different type of religion from southern baptist to Evangelist to Pentecostal. It wasn't until I tried numerous religions that I realized I was a Catholic. So, don't feel bad that you don't feel connected; go and try other things.
Post a Comment