.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Kids at Crops..Yay or Nay?

I saw this topic on another board and there were so many distinct responses. I have attended a few crops in my day. I work with five and six-year-olds full time and love to attend crops to participate in girl talk and to relax. One crop I went to was attended by various scrappers... along with their nursing infants and quite a few children. I must admit that one baby was pretty good.

I have never taken my son to a crop, but I have taken him to the scrapbook store. Thankfully, I never had a problem.

So, what do you think? Kids at crops, yay or nay?

19 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

I'm a teacher, so I like to take a break away from the kiddos and go to crop events with no kids. :)

I have attended some with teenage girls and they were just fine at the event.

Lora Oliver said...

My first reaction is no, but honestly, I would not mind if there were kids present IF I was aware of this prior to signing up for the crop. That way I could make the choice for myself if I was willing to be in that situation.

Personally, a crop is adult time to me and I normally do not want to be around kids during. My bias may also have to do with the few experiences I have had when children are present for a crop or class. Those few times, the children have had no manners and even less parenting. I am not there to provide free babysitting or entertainment.

It actually bothers me even more for a class since I am paying money to attend and do not want to deal with having to alter the instruction for a child's understanding or whims.

Kendall said...

Definitely a NAY!! I think it's not only unfair to the child but to all the other scrappers.

I don't think I'd mind a baby so much unless they cried the whole time, but toddlers and older kids just don't need to be there unless they are scrapping :)

Tamika said...

Hey Staci! For me it depends. If it is a short day crop then I don't mind at all. But when I go to more of a retreat type of crop (that is generally more expensive) I go there to get away from it all and get some work done so I might be more sensitive to children beign there but honestly it is usually the adults who are too chatty not the children, lol.

Tiffany said...

I would usually say Nay. Just because I use it as "me" time. I have not doubt that my kids would behave but I would constantly be watching them instead of crop (just like at home). I also understand not all mother's get that me time so in thouse circumstances I wouldn't frown upon it.

Serene said...

I absolutely say nay! Young children should not be present as it is extremely unfair and inconsiderate to other scrappers. I feel the same way with people who bring infants to movies.

Jill said...

I think it depends on the kid & the parent and the age of the child. Some kids would be just fine at a really young age and others not so much even when they're older.

Unknown said...

Hi! LOVE your crafty blog! I'm your newest follower! You can follow back at; tristascreations.blogspot.com

courtney said...

The only crops I've been to with kids, it was a CM rep friend of mine, and I knew beforehand that her family would be home. Her kids are very well behaved and I did find playing with them a great temporary distraction when I was stumped. The rest of the time, their dad kept them busy with quiet activities that were out of the way.
Any other crops I've been to there have been no babies/children present and I'm alright with that. Honestly, I'd have to be in the right mood to bring my own 13 year old scrapbooking daughter!

Catherine1216 said...

I like adult crops.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

i am a teacher and I go to a crop to hang with the girls- have girl talk etc. I do NOT want to be around kids! If i wanted that I could stay home with my own crew!! LOL!!

thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and taking the time to write such a kind comment! I would be honored if you stopped by again sometime or even signed up to follow and i would do the same!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lora. It is not a problem if I know in advance and can make a choice. Being the mom of 4, I look forward to crafting with like minds and enjoying conversation.

Michelle Hernandez said...

In my background the kids go with Mama wherever she goes. That being said, I would prefer kids attending crops participate in the activity at hand- no running around, eating glitter or trying to stab anyone with a pair of scissors. Moms need to use good judgement when deciding to bring kids to crops. If your 9 year old would rather be playing video games at home why not let them stay? It's not fair to anyone to force the poor kiddo to come along. :)

Mary Jo said...

I saw that post on 2ps and stayed away because it seemed like it may be a little heated. Hopefully not :)
Frankly, I have no problem with older kids who participate without being disruptive.
And I have been to a few crops where women brought new Norns that slept pretty much the whole time.
Personally I wouldn't bring my children because I wouldn't find that relaxing :)

Nirupama said...

I've thankfully never taken my kids to a crop. I just don't know how I would get anything done. But I do tend to take my kids everywhere and wouldn't mind others who do it. For now, it is the one time my husband watches the kids so I go alone!

D said...

I think it depends on the kid. If they are interested in scrapping/crafting and won't get bored and whiny after an hour, I say go for it. I don't though, because my son would be jumping off the walls and Lara would get bored and want to play after 1/2 hr.

scrappymo! said...

I think most crops whould be no kids...but occasionally the crops around me, organize a mother/daughter crop. I know it sounds sexist...I have always assumed that if you had a son interested he could attend too!
Those "kid" crops are always advertised just as that. ..a chance to connect with your child and your hobby.
So normally no, but a special occasion, well advertised as just that...yes.

Tracy said...

I think we read the same forum :)
I have been to a large crop where there were kids (12 hour crops). Two were very young and the mother's nursed them. But they were quiet and then the fathers picked them up as the day went on.
There was also a young girl (about 8 or 10) and she scrapped more then the women there.
None of the kids were at our table.
I didn't have a problem with them as they were well behaved and didn't disturb anyone.
But I would rather not have them at a crop if they are not there to scrapbook.
Plus at the crop I was at it was 60.00 a ticket and the children (not the babies I am presuming)have to pay that if they go as well.

Unknown said...

I'd have to say .... I don't mind at all. It is the parents responsibility to make sure their children behave. When I have gone to a crop or painting seminar - I am totally in a zone ... not really aware of what is going on around me.

Also, you never know WHY the child is there...something could have happened...plans fallen through - anything...so I try to have a little compassion and give the benefit of the doubt. Now - if the child is a TERROR - then I expect the parent and the organizer to act accordingly.

But for the most part - I don't really care, as long as it doesn't adversely affect my experience...and actually, I'd be less apt to go somewhere where kids are strictly forbidden ... I like to see flexibility...but then...that's just me.

If someone wants to bring their child...or has to - then that is fine.