.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Seven Little Numbers...


I've been doing very well with cutting corners. I don't get my hair or nails done, buy new clothes for me and rarely eat out. (when I say eat out I mean McDonalds or a flatbread sandwich from Dunkin' Donuts.) I've cut my heating/cooling costs and cell phone bill. I happily shop for staples at Dollar Tree and do a victory dance when I save big at the grocery store.
There is another way I can easily save about $35.00 a month. All I would have to do is turn off the service to my mother's phone line. Since she passed away there really isn't a need for the extra line. Each month I say that I'm going to terminate the service yet I haven't done so. The phone number has been around since my family unpacked their bags and moved into this home in 1955. Back then we had a yellow rotary phone that hung on the kitchen wall and another tan one that sat on the dresser in the master bedroom. I remember the phone company being referred to as Ma Bell and some phone numbers had letters in them. ("Staci, dial IV6-2344 for me.") While technology was rapidly changing, my mother held onto her rotary phone for dear life. I still chuckle over the day years ago when one of my young neices was visiting us. She wanted to call her grandmother. My mom gave her the go ahead to use the telephone. When her grandma asked later why she hadn't called little neice said, "I wanted to but couldn't figure out how to use nana's phone." Mom finally broke down and got a touchtone phone after I graduated from college in the 90's.
I'll have to challenge myself to turn the phone off soon...

7 comments:

LadyBug said...

WOW, Staci, I remember the rotary phones, but not dialing by letters. Could you still keep the number but remove some of the features if you want to keep that phone number?

Staci said...

Hey Kem--there aren't any extra features left. No caller ID or call waiting. No flat rate service either.

Staci Taylor said...

Aww, staci, I can totally see why you are having a hard time getting rid of the phone line :-( It's hard to say goodbye to something that's been a part of you for so long, especially when it symbolizes a piece of your mama. Just remember that your mom will always be in your heart, with or without the physical reminders. Many hugs, my friend!

Carla said...

awe, that touched my heart...sorry Staci. I bet you could call the phone company and use that number for yourself. When I called for my new house phone they asked if I had any requests. You could try.

Adrienne said...

So sorry! You hang in there!!

Susan said...

Staci - my Granny had one of those phones, it hung on the wall even as she was moving into assisted living, two years ago. Brings back very fond memories. Her's was avocado green, BTW! Thanks for sharing!

Brown English Muffin said...

WOW. I hope you keep the rotary phone some place in the house even if you get rid of the line. What memories! Plus rotary phones cost an arm and leg these days!! Crazy huh!