.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Time For a Change...

On September 4, 2007, Erin Gruwell was the keynote speaker at our school district's opening day excercises. Erin was the subject of the movie, "Freedom Writers" in which she was portrayed by Hilary Swank. She spoke of a life of privilege and how the LA riots of 1992 touched her so much that she took the challenge to work with the 150 lowest students in her neighboring city. They had so little hope. Erin's words and that of her former student, Maria touched me so much that I wept for the entire hour that they spoke... and I was not alone. Although I have always been passionate about helping children learn, I feel that I have to and want to do so much more. I know that I need to make the step to further my education (Get that Masters!) so I can make a bigger difference....one child at a time.

No comments: